Quality Assurance for KISSR
Quality assurance of one of the important criteria for evaluating the academic staffs in Kurdistan Institution for Strategic Studies and Scientific Research (KISSR). According to the rules of the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research – KRG issued in 2014. For every academic year, the academic staffs in Kurdistan Institution (assistant lecturers, lecturers, assistant professors, and professors) should achieve the below criteria:
- Lecturing students (undergraduate or postgraduate) at the Universities or Institutes with a sufficient score of the students’ feedback;
- Teach training courses to the employees of the ministries of Kurdistan Regional Government;
- Conducting a research project and therefore publishing at least one research paper in an impact factor journal;
- Giving at least four presentations or seminars, or participating at least four workshops or conferences.
In addition, the assistant researchers/lab assistant (bachelor holders) should work at the laboratories at least 30 hours per week to help the academic staffs to conduct their research works.
Quality Assurance for Universities
The quality assurance process involves a series of constant activities, including planning, monitoring, follow-up, evaluation, reporting and implementation, which all aim to link the learning process to the desired objectives.
The development of the quality assurance process at the higher education institutions of the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) is one of the most important strategies for the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research. The process is a pioneering practice, not only in Kurdistan Region, but throughout Iraq. The implementation of this process safeguards the high level of academic education for the community.
The following programs are embedded within the quality assurance process for higher education as implemented in Kurdistan Region
- Teaching Quality Assurance
- Continuous Academic Development
- Programme Development
- Assessment of Teachers` Portfolio
- Licensing and Accreditation
These programs are planned and designed according to specific instructions that match the higher education system in KRG and the standards followed by developed international universities. The process will continuously be under the supervision of experts, and there will be annual revision for the programs and their focuses to safeguard their compatibility and keep them updated.
The implementation of the quality assurance process safeguards the designation of the students’ rights and responsibilities within the higher education institutions. Besides, a greater role is given to faculty members, and through the accurate implementation of this process, academic coordination between teachers and the students will be guaranteed. The implementation of the process:
- Safeguards the quality of degrees awarded by universities and institutes
- Safeguards the quality of higher education and teaching process
- Supports students during the courses and protect their rights
- Assures students of the certificates they receive.
- Safeguards needs of job market in terms of the level of experience and training of vocational staff
- Provides reporting, revision and follow-up, monitoring, archiving, decision-making, and occasionally investigating the content of curricula and teaching methods.
In general, the process of quality assurance in higher education helps identifying the strengths and weaknesses within the higher education institutions (universities and institutes), on which later work and planning could be carried out to enhance higher education.
The following forms are used for Quality Assurance at the Universities